Costa Rica Explorer North
Tour Can be modified to suit your time and interests.
- Day 1: Today you'll be met at the airport by our representative and made welcome in Costa Rica. You will then be transferred to the Hacienda Guachipelin mountain ecolodge about 1.5 hours along highway and mountain roads. The hacienda borders the popular Rincon de la Vieja National Park with Natural hot springs, virgin forests, jungle waterfalls and volcanic mud pots. The hotel is surrounded by lush gardens with native trees, exotic flowers and many types of birds, and it has views to both the Rincon de la Vieja Volcano and the Pacific Ocean. It is also a green leader using solar water heating and a biodigester to convert waste organic products into methane for kitchen fuel and residues for fertilizer.
- ay 2 and 3 : These days offer a host of different activities that you may optionally take. There are fun family friendly rafting trips along the Colorado river, ziplines, rainforest hikes and a crater tour to the volcano. These can be booked at the lodge. (B)
- Day 4: Scenic drive with our driver to Arenal. From the Observatory, which is situated only 1.6 miles south of the volcano, visitors have an impressive view of this "giant which rumbles" and erupts with spectacular displays of vapor and lava. The Observatory is the only lodge situated within the Arenal Volcano National Park, which encompasses thousands of acres of pristine rainforest and teems with tropical birds and wildlife. This offers the adventurous traveler front-row seating for one of the world's most thrilling fireworks displays - a volcanic eruption. After having lain dormant for over 400 years, Arenal Volcano erupted violently on July 29, 1968, wreaking havoc on the local population and creating a "lava-scape" for miles around its base. Tropical flora and fauna abound about the Arenal lodge, and while here there are many self guided hiking opportunities as well as optional guided tours. Dinner and overnight at the Arenal Observatory Lodge or similar. (B)
- Day 5-6: There are daily optional tours such as the Hanging Gardens elevated walkway, visits to the Ecotermales Hotsprings, lava bed hikes, rafting on the Sarapiqui river, Cano Negro wetlands and wildlife tour and others. These can be booked at the lodge. The lodge also has a pool and is great place to just relax as well. (B)
- Day 7: This morning you will be taken to the airport or to your choice of a beach resort along Nicoya peninsula as far away as Tamarindo (if you need to go somewhere else let us know).